Kingswood College is a school which offers primary and secondary education. It was started on Pavilion Street in Kandy, Sri Lanka with 11 students. Later the school was moved to "Randles Hills" at Peradeniya Road. Since then, the school has grown up to 3500 students and 200 faculty. The school was founded by L. E. Blaze on May 4, 1891. It is one of the oldest schools in Kandy which is well known for its both academic and athletic achievements. The school is abbreviated as KCK
Kingswood College was originally a high school for boys. When the school was first opened by Sir Blaze, there were only eleven students. At this time, almost all of the schools on the island had been categorized as state aided government schools, and missionary schools. In the beginning, grants from the government were available until the school showed signs of having established itself with a solidcore of good teachers and a good and expanding complement of students. The first few years of the school's existence was a real struggle for Blaze. The income from the fees barely sufficed to cover the cost of running the school. As institutions run by individuals did not qualify for government assistance, Blaze had no option but hand over the struggling institution to the Methodist Mission to continue till 1961 the year during which the school was taken over by the stateUnder the aegis of the mission, Blaze left an indelible stamp over the school. From the outset, he modelled the school on the English Public School. It is not without significance that a house system was introduced to the school in 1922 and the names selected were those of some of the main public schools in England (Eton, Harrow, Winchester and Rugby). He built up a cadre on the strength of his reputation as an educationist. He coined the term "Gentlemen of Kingswood" to describe the body of students of his school and in all his years as principal of the school (from 1891 until 1923) he endeavoured to give meaning and substance to that often repeated phrase "Gentlemen of Kingswood". He chose a motto for the school in Latin, Fide et Virtute as was customary at the time. He then chose the distinctive school colours, maroon and dark blue, and he wrote the words of the school song.